View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
The Radium King

i change my oil at 8k intervals and lose about a litre between changes. this is normal, and can be due to cylinders going off-round, failing aos, etc. this does not mean your engine is going to grenade and does not warrant a trip to the shop on it's own.

the dash inidcatior is a little over a litre from top to bottom, so you were down a bit over 1/2 quart. this will not kill an engine on it's own. further, you went to a heavier cold weight oil, so you can anticipate it to take longer to run back down to the sump and the indicator not measuring all the oil actually in the engine (this is the variation the previous poster referred to). whether your car is level or not also drastically affects this reading.

so, you don't 'own' this; you maintained the car above and beyond what was required by the manufacturer (ie, ims replacement) and operated it as one could expect to operate any vehicle. to suggest that you are somehow responsible for a $15k engine failure is ignorant, but i commend your good spirit about it.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote