View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #19
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
If your engine was retarding it's timing because of insufficient octane(knocking), then adding a higher octane would increase power.

The question might be "Where you really buying the 91 octane you thought you were buying?"

Sorry, but using the butt dyno means using butt logic not labratory logic. The very long post above lays the ground work to assume that you have been buying crappy 91 only to then try excellent 100. My money would say there is a power difference in that case.

Hi,

Not to Flame you, but you seem to have totally missed the point, which is: There is no more power in Gasoline of a higher octane, and that switching to a higher octane will not give your engine more power.

The energy contained in all gasoline is basically fixed. I say basically because there are some Octane Boosters, such as Methanol, which actually contain less energy than an equal volume of lower Octane Gasoline, but they have a higher Octane Rating. So, the case can be made that there is more power (energy) in Regular Gas (87 Octane) than there is in some higher Octane Gasolines, but never vice-versa.

Your arguement that switching from contaminated gasoline to gas which is not contaminated will give your engine more power is pure Pretzel Logic or, as in your words, "Butt Logic". Your statement forces me to believe that you weren't actually serious, but only stated it Tongue in Cheek.

Obviously, if you are buying contaminated 91 Octane Gas, which causes your Engine Management to retard the timing, the car will underperform. But, that is not even relevant to the discussion. What if you had faulty Ignition Wires? Do new Ignition wires contain more Power? That's essentially what you're saying.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote