View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
J Tinsby

In a word "yes" but that's true for any engine not just a Boxster.

On the other hand: Years ago when Alfa Romeos were being sold in the USA we'd sell a used one to new owner. The previous owner never red lined the engine at all, and the cylinders would get a ridge from where the compression ring stopped. The new guy revving the engine would make everything stretch and the ring would hit that ridge and break it. Sooner or later he'd be back complaining of high oil consumption!

In addition to selling Alfa's we also sold Fiats. We had a customer who'd redline his little Fiat 850 coupe ALL the time. That car's engine was very free and revved easily compared to others that came in. BUT when that little motor had 35k on it, it was shot and needed a rebuild.

My old BMW motorcycle manual said " If you run in the red on your tachometer, you will run in the red in your pocketbook too."

While I personally don't redline it ALL the time, I DO occasionally, it for the reason stated above, if no other. Plus if it's gonna fly apart I'd rather it do that under factory warranty!

It's yours, run it how you choose! HTH