View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #19
longislander1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
[i]
What do you mean finnish built? Weren't only some built in Fin?
If you have U in your VIN, the car was built in Finland. S means Stuttgart. From what I've read, most Boxsters are built in Finland today. There have been stories that the quality control is better in Finland.

One reason why the 986 was a big seller is that it put a lot of people (many non-Porsche owners) into a Porsche convertible for an amount lower than they had seen in years. As I recall, the first 986s had a starting MSRP of $39,900, or something like that. The last 968 cabs were $51,900, excluding options, and at this price, there were few takers for a 4-cylinder. For the lower price, you got a six, but with 40 less horsepower, and they cheapened the interior even more (especially the seats). If I remember right, the lower horsepower and less aggressive looks are what led some people to label the Boxster a "chick car."

The 987 interior, at least in quality of materials, is a vast improvement over the miscellaneous black plastic bits in the 986. And for all the criticism of the 987's silver pieces, an awful lot of 986 owners have changed their interior trim to silver to give the car a richer look.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote