View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I would imagine the car throws a ton of codes when the IMS fails, as it causes a lot of things to go wrong. I figure you meant does it put up a code saying it's about to happen, right? Not exactly, from what I've read on here and elsewhere. Some people have experienced a flashing CEL prior to failure, while others have seen this light, pulled over, and been able to save their engine by doing so when their IMS or some other issue was about to wreck their engine. By the same token, I'm sure there are others who did not get one and simply experienced a failure out of the blue.

I imagine having an engine bucking around like what's being experienced by the thread owner is going to take its toll on some internals, and maybe even some external components, running out of balance like that. The car probably thinks it's experiencing a bunch of knocking or senses vibrations reading all over the place and throws a code, and is probably throwing one that makes the light flash because it thinks something is really wrong and the engine will fail shortly. It's strange that it's going away for thejack, like the car sorts itself out and can continue on, but one of these days it may not do so, so I wouldn't be taking that chance. I'm no expert on IMS failures or any others for that matter (thankfully), I'm just going by what I've learned and know in general. Hopefully he can get the codes read and see what the car's telling him as far as misfires, knocks, etc. But I don't believe there's any code that basically says "IMS failure imminent", or that would be Porsche admitting guilt to knowing there could be a problem, basically. However, I've read that when people are experiencing cam timing that's incorrect that this can be a possible sign of IMS failure, or a condition that can bring it about.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote