Thread: ouch...
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
fivepointnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
I had an '86 944 that was beautiful, never any issues. 2 914's (still have one of them) that is an older car, so hard to compare the two: air-cooled vs water is a big difference.
I have the window rattle too (window down, both sides rattle). The box, even though it's 11 years old has been kinda problematic (minor stuff like trim and things), but there's some stuff that has broken that i've said to myself "really?? this is a porsche!" (plastic convertible top, console lid hinge, ignition switch). Maybe I just expected more from a car with a $50k sticker price!
nah, I dont expect much from 50k cars, our Saab 9-3 SE convertible was around 46k in 2001 and the top on that shreds a microswitch every 6 months, a vert top cover u-joint about once every other year, eats CV axles for breakfast, the pixels on the central display have been MIA for about 3 years now, the ignition cassettes will randomly fail leaving you stranded, sludge will kill the motors instantly if you go over 3.5k for an oil change (10k was the recommendation from the factory) but on the positive note the thermostat stuck open on my drive to work this morning....112k miles on the original thermostat is pretty good in my book:dance:

the boxster has 1 major engine issue that shows up in a select amount of cars (and even the aftermarket companies say frequent oil changes and oil type can reduce this risk) the convertible top is a very simple design compared to alot of them and more accessible to the mechanicals of it too...I LOVE my boxster.

My BMW X3 has been relatively trouble free though, it has 67k miles on it, I have the CCV fail at 62k (same thing as the Porsche AOS) and the intake boot developed a rip at about 60k miles, besides that its been happy motoring there.....but it is SLOW
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote