View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
donv

OK, it is a bit early to be thinking of this, but planning is always better than procrastinating...

I've overwintered mine in the garage each year since new. Still on the same battery and no other issues at all other than SigO comments on why the Boxster gets to stay inside all winter .

What I do, if at all possible to get these all to align on the same day:

• Wash car completely, do detailing spray, etc. (I'm a Zaino guy so far)
  • Go for one last real blast with the car (and repeat if time allows )
  • Add "StaBil" fuel stabilizer to tank and fill it just before driving home
  • Raise the tire pressure all around to near max sidewall listed pressure, or use compressor at home to do same
  • Once home, do the annual oil/filter change with the hot car, check all fluids, etc.
  • Place perforated Yogurt containers w/Moth crystals in them in key points in the car - to convince the mice there's a better place to set up for the winter
  • Connect Porsche battery maintainer and close-er-up
  • Put car cover on and wish it a good sleep

I don't start the car at all during the winter. Combustion generates water and water leads to corrosion, etc. I don't mean to question anybody's religion re: this, we all have our beliefs. I originally planned to be a "run periodically" person, but I came to see a different light. I do check the tire pressure periodically.

In spring, I just remove the cover, battery maintainer, moth crystals and let down the tire pressures to 29/36, start the car and drive... the slight flat spotting on the tires disappears once they're brought up to temp with some spirited driving. The first drive with the shiny clean ride (of course, after the first good rain has washed the salt off the roads) is fantastic. Almost like falling in love all over again.