View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Frodo

First time at the track

Just had my first track experience with the Box this past weekend. Wow, I never knew. Thought it'd be like "spirited" back roads driving, speeded up a bit. Not in the least...it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Nothing fancy, Nelson Ledges in NE Ohio (Nelson Ledges Road Course near Cleveland Ohio Sports Car and Motorcycle Road Racing), but it's really good times over a 2-mile course. Technically, wasn't "competitive" (a "Track Day"---restricted passing areas, passing only when signaled by the driver of the car you're passing, etc), but everyone there knows better. Set the pace or get outta the way. My first such experience, I (of course) spent a lot of the day waving people past, then doing my best to follow their lead through at least a couple turns, trying to follow their lines, learning at little more every lap. I didn't do half bad---had lots of encouraging comments from others who'd done this many, many more times than I had. Really good people, they know what it's like to be at the track for the first time.

I have never, I repeat NEVER been in a situation where I was so thoroughly terrified and yet having the absolute time of my life at exactly the same time. It's hard to explain---it's just an odd combination for the brain to handle. Ran the hell out of the Boxster, felt like I was beatin' the snot out of her like I NEVER had before, and managed to keep her on the track. The car responded wonderfully, like she had suddenly been liberated from a shackled state. It sounds stupid, but it truly felt like the car had as much fun as I did.

If you've never done it before, but have thought about it---just do it. You can't drive a Porsche and not track it at least once...not allowed!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote