View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
landrovered

Garage
Totally agree, my wife's Boxster has 16s and rides super smooth and quiet, it handles well and is quick but forgiving. My Boxster has 17s and those look and feel good to me, it handles very well and is a bit harsh on bad roads. I would run 18s for track day tires but not on the road.

I cannot imagine even running 19s or 20s. ( My Range Rover has 19s and they are big on it) The ride would be incredibly rough and the lower profile rubber would give you zero feedback at the point where it loses traction. It is not that they handle any better or any worse... it is how much information you get between the point of the limit of adhesion and the point where you spin out. Lower profile tires have less deflection therefore they breakaway quicker with less warning.

And I really don't like the new aftermarket wheels that are 19s and 20s with spindly little spokes that look like they would snap in a hard corner. BBS wheels look the way they do for a reason - they work under racing conditions. Chinese wheels are designed for looks only and safety and performance are not taken into consideration.