View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

I've driven my friend's PDK C4S a few times. He's got the steering wheel buttons but is considering the paddles if he keeps the car.

This is with the 385 bhp 3.8L. The shifts are normally so smooth they're almost imperceptible. On full throttle, you can feel the shift, but it's still relatively smooth.

In normal, around town driving, it's an automatic. Shifting while just driving around or commuting just feels pointless. The transmission picks the right gear 99% of the time anyway. Actually, even driving agressively, manual shifting still feels mostly pointless, like you're doing it just to do it, not because the car needs a different gear from what it's already in. I haven't had the car on the track, but my friend has, he says that he pretty much lets the car decide what gear to be in then too. Again, this engine has ALOT of torque, so it might be different for the other cars, but to me, this is just an alternative to a normal auto transmission.

Shifting this car has no mechanical connection, it's like pressing a button to change the radio station. So I'm not sure how much anyone can really enjoy shifting these transmissions.

Thinking about it, Porsche has just done a really good job of marketing this transmission as something special. It was in Audis and VWs a few years before Porsche got it and now the double clutch gearbox is even available in Hyundais. I think we're just looking at the new automatic transmission, just more efficient technology and without the stigma.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-19-2011 at 12:15 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote