View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Dale_K

I went through a very similar situation when I bought my 2000 S Boxster last winter. After about a month I got a 1128 CEL. I cleared it and it came back within a week.

You could have a bad MAF but you should get a smoke test done before you jump to conclusions. Check around to find a shop that has a smoke test machine for locating vacuum leaks. It doesn't have to be a Porsche shop but they need to know enough about Porsches to gain access to the motor. The test should cost around $100. Smoke is pressurized into the intake manifold and the tech can easily locate any vacuum leaks because the smoke will be blowing out of the motor wherever a leak is. If you don't have any leaks chances are it's a bad MAF but you need to fix the leaks first if there are any. In the case of my car the oil fill tube leaked and also the brake booster pipe.

Fix the leaks and drive the car. If the CEL comes back and it's the same codes buy a new genuine MAF. It's easy to put in. My MAF cost about $275. On my car after I fixed the oil fill pipe I still got the CEL and put in a MAF. It seemed to totally fix the problem and I never got the CEL again. Later during the hot summertime I could hear some hissing. Hissing is a good clue that you have a vacuum leak. It turned out to be the vacuum pipe for the brake booster (which I hadn't fixed yet) and after that got fixed the car has never driven better. It's really worth it to get it fixed right.

You might want to buy a Durametric scan unit. They cost about $300 and are pretty handy. Besides reading and clearing codes they let you see the data values from the sensors. That's how I knew I had really fixed mine when I put in the new MAF because the fuel adaptation numbers went from way off to almost perfect.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote