View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
WhipE350
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Whip,
Great job - the Cayman looks fantastic! How long did it take to you to detail it?
How did the power feel compared to your car and how did you like the PDK?
Do you think the tire pressures could have been off adding to the understeering condition?
ddb
Thanks man, it took a LONG time. We were talking the whole time too, though I tried to stay focused. The car was already clean, but not like the Benz clean, so initially I had to find all those out of the way places that don't get touched by the average washing. With the Benz and the Boxster there is never any sand or dirt left in the wheel wells, I started to do his but he told me to skip it. He also would have let me skip the inside of the wheels but after I did them he loved it. All I did to the paint was strip any old wax and put on a fresh coat. On the inside I didn't get enough time to vacuum the whole thing but I did get all the dust and stuff off the beautiful leather. I also treated all the plastics under the frunk.

The driving experience was interesting. New car, little time, a lot goin on if you know what I mean. He had it in 'sport' mode so the PDK shifts were very obvious but then I wasn't accelerating fast enough to smooth it out. We put it in manual mode pretty quickly but that takes a little getting used to. My Benz had it but I only used the paddle shifters occasionally. Here's the thing, the engine is very quiet so one really has to shift by feel alone...give me 30 minutes though and I'll have it down The PDK would be great for a daily driver, I did feel myself wishing it was a manual. The power was great, it pulled all the way through, high revs were reached very quickly. I think it reds at 7600. You know it funny how little things have changed since my 2000 'S'. A Porsche is a Porsche.

Since he was going that trip today with the PCA guys I wanted to check all his tire pressure and I forgot. They could have been just a little low.

All and all it is a beautifully refine sports car, very easy to be doing 110mph without knowing it, where with the Boxster I'm well aware...but then my top is always down
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote