Thread: RPM's & MPG
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
shlim8

I've got a 2001 2.7l Tip with an IPD Plenum, BMC filter and a remapped ECU (but stock exhaust). My FC is probably in the region of 18mpg (abt 12l/100 - 12.5l/100). The car is used mainly on high speed highway (4k rpm avg, going up to 6k for overtaking).

I'm sure if I keep the average speed down to 65mph, I can get about 10+l/100 (22mpg). Perhaps a free flowing exhaust will help me in this case !

These cars are not very economical to run on the high speed highway runs... My E90 does the same run at about 27-30 mpg.

The FC above is with the top up, with the top down it's even worse ! And the noise level gets really loud.... always wondered if my Lexan windstop will fly off one day !

In all fairness, for a auto box, the Tip S is pretty decent, if you are in the mood for some fun, it does sense it and shifts pretty quick and it's smart enough to not shift up immediately when u back down (eg slowing for a corner). Not as quick as a VW DSG box but good enough and definitely smoother than a DSG on downshifts. I still prefer the control of a manual box though... but manual Boxsters are very rare here and hard to re-sell.

Most of my prev cars have the ECU re-mapped and all had better FC (and power) after the re-map. I found it strange that I had no improvement in the FC on the Box after the re-map, and I made the mistake of doing the remap before all the other mods (thought I wasn't going to add any mods but then got itchy).

Last edited by shlim8; 10-06-2011 at 06:13 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote