View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Burg Boxster

Wow, you sure are throwing out a lot of unfounded/unsubstantiated statistics there...

Guess it'd be a good thing to get a different Porsche at least every 5yrs to avoid becoming a 6yr jinx...

Most Porsches in my local shops for motor problems are... Cayennes (aka front motors).

A percent is a percent is a percent... 1.5 cars per 100 = 1.5%. Period. Not 9% (or as you say "approx a 10% chance") over 6 years. It's a total % of all the cars over those 6 years. You see, % is not cumulative unless 1.5% of every XXXX year car sampled (assuming same samples too) failed each year over the 6 years. Furthermore, even if subscribing to chicken little "the sky is falling" mentality, failures happen disproportionately to cars NOT driven regularly. So, if used 12 mo/year the 1.5% failure rate should be lower. Wonder how many failures are due to improper storage technique? Wonder how many are due to user error (driving after coolant all drained out or forgetting to replace oil drain plug or filling oil reservoir w/ coolant , etc.)? We need to know failure mode too.

I agree the M96/97 engine is NOT infallible so please don't misconstrue my criticism of your post as thinking it is. In fact, this is the first seemingly objective set of statistical #s I have seen. I'd be interested in reading more as would others, I presume (well, maybe not those who try to gorilla market warranties or "enchancement" products but I digress).

So, how about a link to this annual report as most major companies post them online for easier and cheaper e-delivery distribution to shareholders.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote