View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
clivep078

Boxster wont start - Help pls ?

Really need and appreciate some advice. I have just bought my first Porsche a Boxster S 3.2 2002.

The initial issue was difficulty to start when Hot, but once it turned over a few times, it popped a bit, sometimes stalled, but on 2nd or 3rd hot turnover was ok and it never cut out whilst running.

Then the problem started to happen sometimes (not always) when it was cold.

The problem got worse until it started cutting out whilst driving and then I couldn't start at all now even when cold.

So obviously an intermittent fault - getting worse - initially when hot.

Now this bit may be a bad steer - but during all the the only code I got was P0134 which is bad o2 sensor so I replaced that. Turned the key and it fired !!! hey sorted...... er no !!! has now stopped again and wont start - so I think the o2 code may have been due to very bad fuel / air mix during turnover and no firing. And the initial start after install a lucky start. This does happen sporadically. When I removed the sensor I got a code to tell me this and once reinstalled the code cleared so happy this is installed ok. No OBD errors at present.

Now - lifted lid off engine and I can hear a high pitched tone - like the scream of a relay or solenoid when the coil is breaking down, whilst the car is sat with ignition on. occasionally I then get a chatter like a relay chattering when it has a loose connection or the coil is failing. This sounds as if it is coming from the throttle body area. Saying this when I push the accelerator I can hear the throttle move smoothly so I think fly by wire is ok?

Hence my conclusion is that there may be some actuator, solenoid or valve etc which is responsible for presetting throttle position which initially was failing when hot but is now failing most of the time. If I do get a lucky start, it tends to run for quite some time before giving me issue or cutting out. but if it does, its a hell to get going again.

Any experts on starting routing, throttle bodies etc

Help really appreciated?

Many Thanks

Clive
clivep078 is offline   Reply With Quote