View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
^All you have to do, Perfectlap, is sell about 1.5 shares of your Apple stock.

I'm no more, or no less, busy than anyone else. But, I am finding it increasing harder to maintain two Porsches in mint condition, while driving them about 700 miles total on the weekends. I figure every few years I'll send the cars out for a major exterior detail to keep the paint 110%.
ha ha. If that Apple stock is getting sold it's definitely not going into the grubby mitts of some detailer! Actually sitting on old positions that have gone up several times the DOW and S&P is frowned upon at the Perfectlap Fund LLC.

Number one congratulations on putting 700 miles on your cars. I put about 300 on there last week to calculate my current gas mileage (did a bunch of exhaust work/mainteance recently) -- 21 mpg. You're doing a heck of a lot of driving!

It's going to be pretty tough to keep a car in mint condition with that much use.
Which is the interesting conundrum of enthusiasts. They want the car to look showroom ALL the time. To do this they end up washing and waxing the car too often or worse, for lack of time they take it to a hand car wash where the workers touch the paint with dirty wash mitts full of road debris from the last 25 cars and drying towels that I wouldn't use on my bicycle. 24 -30 annual washes later and the car is full of swirls, cobwebs and all manner of clear coat damage. My advice for people who insist on a showroom look is to buy lots of towels (waffle weave not the typical microfiber with the prickly hooks -- overkill) and bring your own wash mitt and drying towel to the car wash and ask them to use your stuff. But its best to do these washes yourself with a No-Rinse type product. Also when drying the car, wet the car down with a detaling spray. Don't rub on dry paint ever. There should always be some type of lubrication. Friction and prickly or rough towels cause swirling every time. Limit waxing to as little as necessary and make more use of polymer detaling sprays (Finish Kare 425). When it comes time to do the orbital de-swirling it will take a fraction of the time because the swirls will not be as deep or will there will not be as much. Enthusiasts inadvertently create most of their own work.

Now on the other hand if you have a garage queen that gets minimal use then you don't need to do all this.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-29-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote