View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Let us know what you think after you get acquainted with the 993, VERY curious to hear your thoughts.

BTW...Nice choice on the wheels. Those original Panzer track supports will wait fine in storage for you..........
Funny, I completely agree with the Panzer comment. However, you would not believe some of the heat I've gotten for changing those wheels out. Purists, what are you going to do.

Some initial thoughts on the 993 vs. my Boxster S:

The 993 feels like it's built like a tank compared to the Boxster. You can tell even in closing the doors, it just feels more substantial. The Boxster is definitely more refined in almost every way. The Boxster S feels like a modern day car, the 993 feels like an older car. That is sort of a "duh" considering my Boxster S is 7 years newer than my 993, but it goes deeper than that. The 993 is very mechanical feeling. From the way the pedals come up from the floor to the way the shifter works to the way the engine sounds, it's a bit different from anything I've ever driven.

The 993 seems like the "core" of the car is very simple and very high quality, engine, suspension, brakes, even the leather on the seats. It is very light on bells and whistles and what it does have isn't that great. The stereo, power seats, heated seats, power windows, etc in the 993 don't even compare to those in the Boxster.

The 993 defintely gets more attention than my Boxster did. That may be strictly because where I live the Boxster is a car you see fairly regularly while the 993 is a bit more rare.

Overall the 993 just feels like it was built in another era and I can see why someone would be drawn to or not depending on what they wanted from a sports car.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote