View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad View Post
It's been a really long time since I posted on this site and I know the question has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer...

What are the best brands for manual (6 speed) transmission fluid? I have 23K miles on my 2001 and I can tell it needs replacing.

Should I use Redline MTL 75W90?

Thanks,
-Steve
We spend an inordinate amount of time draining just about every brand of after market gear oils out of Porsche gearboxes in one failed experiment after another. Every time, the customer comments are the same: Poor shifting, stiff, noisy, etc.; and every time the results are the same: The problems go away as soon as the OEM product goes back in.

A lot of small time lubricant blenders claim they can match the OEM product, yet the major players in the lubricant markets say they have no direct match for Porsche’s product, which has unique characteristics and is made by a small specialty manufacturer, and has no GL or other recognizable specs, but is a full synthetic product and obviously works well in these transmissions.