View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Well I would have easily spent $54 on stuff at Napa so I am good on the part anyway. My only qualm if I even have any is that I would have liked a bit more bite to the polish. There are a few scratches that I will have to go back and compound because the the Z-PC did not get them out. It did do a great job on the swirl marks and holograms though. The blue car has lots of little chips from stones over the years and I will have to find a better technique to fill those in than touch up paint on a brush. Anybody got any tutorials on the best way to make paint chips disappear? These are to the primer.
NAPA acutally has a pretty good line called DuraGloss. They sell a spray called Aquawax spray that's damn good for the money.

I've seen methods to cover up the chips, usually at the front bumper, that involves using the eraser on a No.2 pencil to blot the paint over the chip.
But first you need really fine 1000 grit type sandpaper, punch out little circles using a hole punch and stick them to the eraser. Then pushing down in a circular motion over the sandchip to create a rough texture for the paint to stick to.

swirl and scratch removal really needs to be done with torque. The Porter Cable 7424 is a must have tool. Best to buy it as part of a detailing kit where they give you the flexible backing plate (comes with rigid) and the correct pads for cutting or polishing. Lots of YoutTube videos out there on the right method to use for deswirling.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote