View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
Dale_K

On my 2000 S, the trunk lights go out on their own, even if you leave the trunk lids open, after 2 hours. In fact I had to wait out the 2 hour period before checking my parasitic drain because I was worried that some computer must be on to perform the 2 hour countdown.

On my car the parasitic drain was only about 20 milliamps. I did not have the car locked so maybe it would be higher otherwise. My car seemed to have a weak battery because sometimes it wouldn't start in the morning. I didn't know if the charging system was bad or whether there was a drain while the car was shut down.

In my case the battery was good but the alternator was weak. It would have been easier to diagnose if the alternator had gone completely bad. Mine would put out over 13 volts. I tried a new voltage regulator but it didn't make any difference. A remanufactured alternator from O'Reily totally cured the problem. I haven't had any trouble since. Funny thing was I took the car to O'Reily before I did the replacement and they said the system checked out after they put their tester on the car.

I don't know for sure what the parasitic drain measured before the 2 hour timer countdown but it was only 21 milliamps the way I checked it.

And on my car the light under the rear view mirror (not an LED) will stay on during one peculiar circumstance. If I reach in and start the car while standing outside (my car is a Tip, so I don't have to push down the clutch) and then shut off the car and remove the key, the rear view mirror stays on. I'm not complaining but it confused me. I didn't notice whether all the interior lights were on and I don't know whether they are part of the 2 hour timer shutoff feature. The only reason I found out about the rear view mirror light staying on is that a neighbor rang the doorbell one day and mentioned that my car's interior light was on and that he noticed it because he was driving by and the garage door was open.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote