View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Dale_K

I crashed several times as a teen.

First crash was a 64 VW bus with 6 guys in it. Ran into the back of a GTO when he changed his mind about running a yellow light. He got a tire iron out of the trunk but became very friendly after all 6 guys came out of the bus.

Second time was an autocross at the University of Maryland in a 67 Opel. I totally cleared all the cones but the course was setup by amateurs and I was going so fast through the last cones I couldn't stop without hitting a parked 57 Mercury.

Then in 1968 in the same Opel I was coming home from a date at about 3am. The newspaper delivery guy was servicing his route from the oncoming direction. Instead of gong back and forth down the road, he would cross into the oncoming lane to get the paperbox on the left side of the road. He did this on a blind downhill curve and I was kind of surprised when I crested the hill and saw a pair of headlights in my lane. So I went into the shoulder. But so did he and we hit head on about 3 feet off the road, right next to the homeowner's mailbox. Actually this was the only wreck that wasn't my fault. He got a ticket for driving on the wrong side of the road.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote