View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
ubii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole
Yeah, the sound was recorded in my garage and the reverb / wall reflections make it sound pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound great out in the open, but it doesn't quite as gruesome. Also, it sounds completely normal after whatever it is that's catches or kicks in. It will need looking at, was just hoping someone may have experience something similar.

Can the hydraulic chain tensioners be changed without pulling the engine?
According to the following Pelican Parts technical article (see link below), you should be able to replace the paddles without removing the engine. Here is a quote from that article:

"All of the tasks illustrated here should be able to be performed on the engine while still installed in the car, although clearance is tight and it's somewhat difficult to work under the car."

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner.htm

I think that they decided to remove my engine, because they initially thought that the chain guides (99610517552 and 99610517353) would also need to be replaced. That ended up not being the case, as only the paddles (99610525300) needed replacing.