View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Perfectlap

wow this is a lot of replies considering most Boxster owners go nowhere near an autocross or DE.

Let me give you a little advice. Don't pick which Boxster you are going to buy based on Autcross classes. Pick it based on what you get the best feeling from when driving it. IMHO a roadster at about this weight "comes alive" at about 240 HP. Particular out of tight turns where the extra ponies come in handy and when overtaking cars from the merge lane on the highway. Either way choosing which Boxster to buy leaves you up to the whims of those who make up those classifications. I mean are you more interested in winning $10 trophies or learning how to drive?

Around these parts the base boxster both 2.5 and 2.7 are grouped with the S2000.
The 3.2 and 3.4 are grouped with the standard 996 Carrera and some of the M3's.
Depending on the driver of course, I often matched or better either's time. The club director told me that the S was a bit a trick to classify because it clearly had an advantage over the S2000's on power but was a little short of some of the newer Porsches and BMWs.

I also had a Miata that I learned to autocross on and IMHO again that car is way more fun to learn how to drive, like for real driving, than a Boxster. If it wasn't such a sardine can in a road of millions of 4 ton SUVs I probably wouldn't have ever sold it. I read a recent Road&Track review of the latest Miata and they had surprsingly mixed views on it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote