View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
mikstew

a WARNING about ebay aftermarket MAF sensors

Ok just a little note on these aftermarket sensors

I bought mine from MPG Autoparts, 89.99. First, let me tell everyone how they are made. The aftermarket sensors you are buying on ebay are modified used sensors. That's correct. They are not even refurbished. If you look at the sensor case, you can see where it was cut apart and glued back together. Furthermore, the sensing element is fundamentally different. The "manufacturer" cuts a small window in the original sensing element film through which they solder a diode.

Now I will tell you how they work. I purchased one to fix my CEL (voltage too low). It was nothing but a NIGHTMARE. Every time I would leave my car overnight, the car would not start until I took the sensor out of the engine and cleaned it with alcohol spirits. This went on for days. I got another sensor from the manufacturer, and while it is better, it is still unacceptably bad. When I start the car, the sensor needs time to 'warm up' or something, because if I just try to take off right after starting, the car will sputter and even DETONATE.. yes, this ****************ty sensor actually causes pinging, I am not kidding. I would love to sue these ****************************s for making products that cause detonation.

(There is nothing else wrong with my car. Any problems are entirely related to the sensors from MPG auto parts, since when reinstalling my old, original porsche MAF, all of the above symptoms disappeared (except for check engine light of course). I have tried this repeatedly.

DO NOT BUY EBAY MAFS OR AT LEAST NOT FROM MPG AUTO PARTS OR YOU RISK BEING STRANDED LIKE I WAS OR EVEN RUINING YOUR MOTOR
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote