View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
The Radium King

i was going to post this after i got my refund, but the two things i can think of right away are:

1) the dust cap on the inner cv on the jobber axle didn't fix into the boxster transmission flange properly, such that there was a 1/8" gap between the flange and the cv. so, i could see that, even at torque, things eventually working loose as there is room for movement and less thread engaged.

2) a cv can do two things; provide rotation and provide plunge (in/out movement). some cvs do both, some just do one ore the other. on oem axles you have rotation and plunge on both the inner and outer cvs. on the jobber axle i received there was rotation and plunge on the inner, but only rotation on the outer. without the additional plunge, and given the big offset between transmission flange and wheel carrier on the 6-speed boxsters, i could see that being an issue causing additional deflection on the flange, forces outside of design spec, etc.

otherwise, the jobber axles are a weaker steel; when i installed othe oem expansion nut it actually milled the threads on the jobber axle. also, the oem axles have a lot more paint on the shaft, so more to chip off before you get to exposed steel and corrosion. finally, the jobber axles fit the cv boot around the outer cv, while the oem axles have a step ring that necks down the outer cv so that the boot smaller - less movement, less to wear, longer life.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote