View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
The Radium King

the hex head fasteners that hold the inner cv/axle to the transmission flange need to be retorqued after 800 kms. also, it's very easy to get grease from the inner cv on the fasteners, which messes with the torque.

tools needed - torque wrench (you'll want 60'#) extensions, 8 and 10 mm hex attachment (not certain of your fastener size) degreaser and rags, jack and stands, wheel removal tools.

jack it up
wheel off
in gear, p-brake on
clean everything - inspect for damage - axle, inner cv boot, inner cv dust cover, etc.
you'll only be able to get at two of the bolts at once, so do your thing, rotate, repeat.

depending on what's happened, you might need to get the jack on the wheel carrier to displace it enough to get the inner cv back in the flange.

otherwise, you may have a whole lot underside braces, etc., in the way. i don't know how much so, as all the work i've done on my axles was done with that stuff removed. you should be ok, however, but brink a full metric socket set (ratchet, 10mm and 13m mat a minimum) and medium phillips screwdriver just in case.

final point of caution - i'm in the process or returning some jobber axles i purchased recently because of a number of fatal issues with them, several of which could have resulted in what you expereinced. please check with your shop to ensure that they used oem parts or at least advised you of the fact they were using jobber; an oem axle is $1k, a jobber is $200 and not worth the price difference.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote