View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Brucelee

On the question of the M1 filter for the Boxster, I have to confess that I have never purchased one (being that I am a dealer, I simply use Porsche OEM's when I do my service).

Having said that, a quick call to Mobil will inform. Sorry that I don't have this info direct.

Re: How long is the oil good for, I would disagree with the statement about the 20K miles being fine, Porsche wouldn't recommend it if it weren't fine etc.

I have seen many studies on the long term quality of syn oil and my take on it is as follows:

M1 and Amsoil start to get "tired" or dirty at around 10K miles. They CAN be refreshed by changing the oil filter at around that mark. IF you change the filter, the M1 seems to be fine until around 16-17K, when it could use another filter change or to get it out of the engine.

Frankly, to enhance the chance that my 12K dollar engine will last a goodly long time, I would simply perform an oil change and filter at 10K and not be the guy who is experimented upon.

If you buy your oil at Wally world, you pay around $40 for oil, $18 for filter. I have a guy who charges me $15 to do the change.

Cheap insurance for sure.

IMHO.

PS-the post above nails the 1000 miles change recommendation. I have seen many oil changes on cars at this mark and there are tons of metal shavings coming out. Don't want this in my long term Box for sure.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote