View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Uh huh, every time someone asks about buying a Boxster all the Chicken Littles start running around with their hands in the air screaming "IMS Bearing, IMS bearing!"

In reality. very few of these cars experience that issue, which is why there are so many of them still on the road. I'm starting to think that much of this paranoia is the result of fear-mongering by a few people that have figured out how to profit greatly from it. I'm just not buying it anymore, especially after changing out a perfectly good water pump after allowing myself to be convinced that it would detonate and take the engine with it if I didn't.

Like the poster above said, these are extremely reliable cars if looked after properly. If you're handy with a wrench then you will have no problems doing the maintenance. I'm into my third season of owning a 1999 model. It now has 122000km and I have had zero failures. I have never had that kind of reliability out of any other car I've owned (dozens!) and I've never had a car this much fun to drive.

Go for it!
I can commiserate with you in so far as the issue of IMS failure often casts a pall over what might otherwise be a positive discussion on this forum . Often to the extent, that visiting a burn center for children would somehow seem less depressing by comparison. However, make no mistake about it, IMS failure is a real and important concern regarding the M96 and early M97 engines. And, as I previously mentioned, it can plague any vehicle regardless of mileage or condition . It's like the disease or illness that no one thinks will effect them until it occurs. And, there are steps a person can take to prevent it .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-07-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote