View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Maybe save your money on the Pelican book. It's a very nice looking book, but I found that, when I came to actually use it, that the information was scanty and there wasn't much detail to the procedures, and a lot of the pictures weren't particularly helpful. Plus, everything in the book is available online at the website.

Instead, I prefer to go with Pedro's tutorials whenever possible. Better pictures, better explanations, and he is very quick to respond to emails if you get stuck. The Bentley manual is also quite good.

Get yourself a copy of the parts catalog, too. Ordering parts is much easier if you can look up the numbers ahead of time, and the exploded diagrams can be pretty handy. You can download it for free.

The last few jobs I've done, I went to the garage armed with the Bentley and Pelican books, and Pedro on the laptop. Barely used Pelican after an initial quick glance.

Oh, and if you're changing the canvas top, Mike Focke's tutorial is all you need to get you through the job. It is by far the best walkthrough I have found for that particular job.

A big +1 on the Durametric tool.

I bought my Boxster thinking that I would be relying on the pro's for service. I have yet to take it in to a shop for anything as these cars are very easy to work on once you overcome the initial fear. I will say that I am getting pretty fed up with jack stands and will likely get a lift of some kind next spring.
I agree with pretty much everything in this post. (I can't comment on the Durametric...never used one. But it does have a solid following among people around here.) And a resounding "Amen" to the desirability of a lift. I, too, am getting really tired of dealing with jack stands. (At first it was just the nagging fear of working under a car supported by them. With experience with stands, I've totally gotten over that. I'll NEVER get over the hassle of using them.)

Let us know what you get, lift-wise. (Check to see if they're open to a group-buy discount.)

Sorry to hijack...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote