View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Perfectlap

That's exactly what I imagined. When a car has very low miles the parts tend to sit dry for long periods of time. The seals around the IMS become weak and brittle, add the the vibration that a dramatic increase in driving will uncork and voila your IMS seal is literally disintegrating as you drive the car. Probably the same for the other vital engine components that are made of plastic. I'm no expert on those other parts but I'm sure my suspicion is spot on. Folks were complaining about this when Mobil 1 changed their formula and it was "said" that the new blend provided insuficient lubrication.

Put it this way, with the prices of the Boxster falling into hands of drivers who look for a low mileage car and then promptly start driving them on daily basis or close to that, the number of IMS failures is going to sky rocket.

Luckily you were astute enough to look in the filter. Most people probably take it to the dealer and I wonder what they say to the customer when they find that debris. "sir...it appears that our oil interval suggestions were inadequate, or our oil recommendation wasn't the right fit or we failed to alert you to the hazards of insufficient running time and now you'll be requiring a $2K repair or $1200 if you want do it on the cheap. If you don't spend this money you're engine will self detonate at any momment. Would you like to have us change the wipers?".
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote