View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by george g
I had some maintenance work done last week and I thought I'd share it with everyone. The previous oil change revealed some metal in the filter so I decided to install the LN replacement IMS bearing along with a new main shaft seal. The clutch was replaced also and I decided to install a single plate flywheel.
When I drove away from the shop I immediatly noticed how much smoother and lighter the new clutch felt. Also when accelerating onto the freeway the engine revved much quicker due to the new flywheel. I had the work done at The RennShop in Santa Clara Ca. and this is a recommendation. My 03 Boxster S has 60k and it feels like a new car. I'm happy.
You may want to search around the board a bit. The dual mass flywheel provides harmonic damping and balancing that is lost with a light weight flywheel. There is some evidence that suggests the crankshaft integrity is at risk without that damping.

What did your IMS bearing look like? A few little bits of non-ferrous metal in the oil filter is normal. You'll probably still find bits of metal in your filter.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote