Thread: Vacuum Leak
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
Yeah I know about the smoke machine. I also know that the Porsche dealer charges $145 to use it and MIDAS charges $104.50 to use it in my area. That is ridiculous. I have seen smoke machines that you can buy for $100. They charge too much for the 5-10 min service.

So I thought of other methods:

How to make a $5 Smoke Machine?

Smoke Bombs: I looked for smoke bombs during July 4th weekend, but could not find any. They have become either rare or illegal.

Scent Sticks: My next option to is look for a bunch of scent sticks since they give off lots of smoke and stick them in the side air vent with foil wrapped around them so my car does not get any burns. These are also hard to find. I have no idea where to buy them from.

To be honest, I had trouble stopping laughing after reading your post. Sorry, but it's true.

I agree with you that a smoke machine analysis is highway robbery, but please, anything that you burn inside of your engine to create smoke is not good. It will only deposit all kinds of soot and crud in the intake.

I haven't tried it, but what about slightly pressurizing the intake, and I mean very slightly, spraying soapy water around the connections and looking for bubbles which will show the leak?

Or, if you can hear the leak, use a section of flexible tubing as a stethoscope to hunt down the leak. Even the slightest leak will be pretty loud.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000