View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Mr. Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
I don't have a lift. I use 6 ton SUV stands to hold her up. They have huge bases so they won't tip and I can raise it up 24". I used them on the 928 clutch and it was no problem at all.

For the special tool, I believe that article talks about supporting the engine from underneath. I always have a floor jack underneath, even with the stands, pressing lightly on the oil pan just in case so I'll put it where it can hold the engine up safely and even with the tranny. It doesn't look too hard to do with the whole thing coming out.

I'll be replacing mine along with a lightweight flywheel with inserts since the dual-mass OEM flywheel on mine is causing vibration. I'll let you know how it feels compared to the original whenever I get it done. I'm sure I'll be replacing it before you have to. Ours is a daily driver, 60-80 miles/day so it probably won't be long.
Thanks Again for the reply. I think 24" of jack stand would allow enough clearance as well. Might have to build up the car to that level as I don't think my floor jack has that much travel, but I am sure it can be done. I have now read the article you refered me to and it is quite good. I think the job can be done in a day as well. I guess I am just looking for some genuine symtoms before I go to the time and expense. The dealer warns me that if I wait too long I could damage the flywheel for an added $1K in parts..... probably just a bit of a scare tactic.
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote