View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Overdrive...oh no offense taken at all, I knew you weren't slamin my list . My basic point is there is a lot said about all the 'repairs' these cars need and generally forums are here for folks to help each other with them so we don't here a lot of stats on the cars out there that have few 'repairs'.

Did you do your IMS and RMS as preventative? I will be this fall. I have a pretty big list of preventative maintenance I have done, most would be expensive at a dealer can be done very inexpensively as dyi jobs. I put my struts in this category but with the low mileage it probably was an expensive mod.

I'm taking another long trip next weekend and didn't get a fresh water pump in. I'll probably take it out and find it is like new . There does seem to be enough age related things in these cars that create (for me) a little bit of uncertainty when headed for long trips. The nice thing is I really enjoy working on them and with some preventative work that uncertainty can be removed.

Did you do the IMS and RMS yourself?
Yeah, Whip, my IMS and RMS work was done as a preventative measure, and since it was due anyways I got the oil changed at the same time while it was in the shop. The car's a 97, had just over 40k on it when I got it, on its way to 45 now, and had about 43k or so on it when the IMS was done. The car sat in a lot exposed to everything New England has to offer for about 5 years before it became mine, so I knew it was barely driven during that time and that didn't bode well for an IMS bearing, among other things. There's a lot that it needs that I'm going to try and knock out little by little and as the funding becomes available. My next big thing to address (at least the way I'm planning it and barring a surprise issue) is the suspension. It's not shot, but it could certainly be better, and at slow speed the front end loves to clunk around at the slightest road imperfections. Good excuse to put in RoW M030 bits, and depending on how involved that is I may very well DIY it.

Hey Dale, sorry to hear that there seems to be an issue yet again. Do you think that maybe some coolant may have spilled and is just burning off rather than a sneaky leak?

...and how many miles did ya get before it happened?

:dance:

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote