View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
so...about that wind deflector...

Looks like I'll be slightly uncomfortable for a little while with the top down. One of the mounting points for my wind deflector broke last night. Not the tabs up top that are notorious for snapping off (those have actually been holding up like champs, 'scuse me while I find some wood to knock on), but the small tab on the bottom where that notch on the bottom side of the deflector fits.

Thankfully, this didn't happen at speed. I'll have to get some pictures up later, but all I was trying to do was wipe off some fingerprints I'd made on the plastic while I was parked talking to a buddy. I left it in place on the car, as I didn't see a need to remove it. I wiped maybe two times, no Herculean pressure by any means, and suddenly the bottom of the deflector is flapping around and I see the bottom holding tab fall back and into the folded top.

At this point I'm mentally cussing out the car, but recovered the plastic piece after opening up the top just enough to get my hand in there and search. It just sheared right off, a very clean-looking break. As I said, I'll get pics up some time soon. Makes me wonder if that was going to be the night where my wind deflector flew off on the highway never to be seen again, so I guess I can be glad I was parked when it happened. But now I'm wondering, has this ever happened to anyone else? Is this something that can be replaced, like a separate piece that's not a part of the entire rollbar?

I now know just how important that small piece of plastic is to any sort of driving over 40mph...it's just crazy how so much of the air just shoots straight down or gets buffeted back into the cabin without that deflector in place.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote