View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:49 AM   #6
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
Thank You. If you do yours first let us know how it goes. I am pretty sure I can do it myself but don't know if I want to take the time and effort. I own a Porshe Official workshop manual for the car and it shows the need for a special support bracket that straddles the trunk and supports the engine while you have trans out. I am assuming it is actually necessary. God only knows how much the dealer wants for this special tool and I think it could be fabricated easily. My biggest concern is without the aid of a lift, how do you safely get the car high enough for the trans to roll out of the way from underneath it?? You have lift in your garage??? I don't......

I don't have a lift. I use 6 ton SUV stands to hold her up. They have huge bases so they won't tip and I can raise it up 24". I used them on the 928 clutch and it was no problem at all.

For the special tool, I believe that article talks about supporting the engine from underneath. I always have a floor jack underneath, even with the stands, pressing lightly on the oil pan just in case so I'll put it where it can hold the engine up safely and even with the tranny. It doesn't look too hard to do with the whole thing coming out.

I'll be replacing mine along with a lightweight flywheel with inserts since the dual-mass OEM flywheel on mine is causing vibration. I'll let you know how it feels compared to the original whenever I get it done. I'm sure I'll be replacing it before you have to. Ours is a daily driver, 60-80 miles/day so it probably won't be long.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote