View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnh1970
Sorry for my ignorance—what is PSM?

I'm trying not to make an emotional purchase—but common sense is leaning to yes.
PSM = Porsche Stability Management aka Please Save Me

The most common mistake people make when purchasing a car is letting emotion rule.

Some take it or leave it advice:

Whenever I am contemplating a purchase, whether it be clothes, cars, tools (that I think I really gotta have), electronic gear or gadgets, and emotion kicks in, I automatically wait 1 week before making the purchase.

Sometimes the desire is still strong, so I make the buy and am generally satisfied. Sometimes my passion for the item fades and I am glad I didn't buy it on 1st impulse.

Other times, I have often found one that is better, one that I like more, or the same item at a lower price.

In a few rare cases, the original item is no longer available a week later, which I just write up to fate - it wasn't to be.

This practice has served me well over the years and prevented me from spending money needlessly on things I really don't want or need.

It takes some practice, especially with a used car with the potential to be 'lost' to someone else.

On the other hand, if you disappear for a week, the dealer or seller is more prone to haggle when you return because he knows that you're both a serious, and non-emotional buyer. His tricks (yes... they do use tricks to play on your emotions) don't work and he knows it. If he wants to make the sale, he has to play it straight up.

And maybe the most important thing to keep in mind is:

The one thing the World has no shortage of is used Boxsters!

Don't exceed a tight budget, it will diminish your joy in the car and have you 2nd guessing yourself.

Good Luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote