View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Lil bastard

I went from a Boxster I had for 7 years to an air-cooled (964 Carrera 4 Cab) a year ago and couldn't be happier.

I wasn't looking to make a change, but this car (one-owner 20k mi.) came available through a distress sale and I couldn't resist. I was also able to sell my Boxster for not much less than I paid for the 911 making it almost an even swap.

The AC is fantastic in the 911 (esp. considering it's a Cab). The 911 has it hands down on build quality - no comparison.

Other areas the 911 trumps the Boxster; the sound of that air-cooled flat 6, instant recognition, better interior, feels just as solid, 25% smaller giving it a more true sports car feel while still having a spacious interior - at least as much as the Boxster. And they're on the up-tick. The 964 is worth on average $3k more than I paid for mine last year, and expected to keep climbing. The Boxster I sold is worth $5k less than I was able to sell it for.

Despite being 200 lbs. more than the Carrera 2, the all-wheel drive handling (adapted from the 958 factory rally cars) more than makes up for the weight penalty - this car has manners and dispels the 911's reputation of handling which will bite you - and it's still lighter than the Boxster.

Several major car mags have revisited the 964 (somewhat maligned when introduced in '89) and re-reviewed it. They all stated that they were wrong - that after 20 yrs. real world experience the car has vindicated itself concluding that it may be the best 911 ever built. The 964 sold for less than it cost Porsche to produce (due to the recession of the early '90's) and almost dragged the company over the edge - good for the owner, bad for Porsche.

It's successor, the 993, was a somewhat dumbed-down version with lesser quality interior, a new awd system adapted not from the earlier 958 but from audi (for cost reasons). It's new, non-traditional styling was somewhat polarizing. But it's popularity over the 964 stems from it being the last of the air-cooleds, some like the styling as being more 'modern', it's engine mgmt. system doing away w/ the dizzys, and the adoption of hydraulic lifters though the engine - the M64 is the same 3.6L of the 964.

The SC's are maybe Porsche's best selling (and most produced) 911, and are great cars (I owned an '83). Their issues are: bad chain tensioners, bad AC, require regular valve lashing. But, they are also going on 30 yrs. now and will soon become more maintenance instense. I consider them marginal DD's.

In then end, the Boxster is a fine car, but as mentioned, a totally different animal. Get to know them both well and the right decision for you will be apparent.

Cheers!
Attached Images

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote