View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
Perfectlap

Well my point was that at these current 986 prices guys are going in to race them, drive them daily or use it at the go-to summer car. In other words they aren't going to be treated like appreciating assets like a 993 or older. My theory is that a well preserved, low mileage (but not too low) air-cooled Carrera is substantially under-valued right now. They're kind of like Brazilian rainforest...quickly disappearing and the value of those cars to collectors and enthusiasts have not really awoken yet. In particular, I'm thinking of wealthy foreigners in emergin countries who are currently bidding up the prices on all luxury collector items. Porsche as a brand is only going to become a more cherished name around the world because unlike Mercs and BMW's these really are small production cars.

If I were to get into collecting cars tomorrow I'd be buying a few. Also, for the purposes of actual hard driving, a stripped down water-cooled Porsche may not be as visceral as an air-cooled Porsche but they provide quiet a ride for very little money (relativlely speaking) and GT1 Carrera engines are proven long-haulers. Too bad they didn't put that engine in the regular 911's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-16-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote