View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
993's are going to be very valuable in the future. Which means selling your Boxster to buy a 993 is a bit of misnomer since you don't really have to worry about mileage with the modern Porsche. The quantities of well-preserved air-cooled 911's are going to become a big issue. You've got many of these racers and parts shops taking apart the once road-going 993's -- reducing supply. and Restoring an old beater is not cheap, although it could be worth it in the long run. The 80's and 90's Carreras hit the sweet spot on power and styling. I'd say buy one for safe keeping. Boxsters OTOH are for driving, autocrossing and generally speaking 'wearing down to the bone'. Once you realize how valuable those air-cooled Carreras are becoming, and how much they'll cost to fix, you'll be driving it with white gloves and grimacing when the odometer heads higher. you'll be looking for another toy to get the pedal to the metal out of your system.
Not sure I agree with everything you've said. It could be applicable given someones particular situation, but I have a full time track car already. The Boxster was a weekend car and I was putting about 2-3k miles on it per year. I plan to do the same with a 993. I don't plan to purchase a concours level 993 to start with. It will get the same treatment as the Boxster S did......both will be driven hard, but within the confines of a weekend street car and it will be babied otherwise. The track car is the one that gets the snot driven out of it, but then it's got a full cage and is set-up for the abuse.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote