Thread: Fresh Air Valve
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
bmx672

The issue: I am unable to fill the tank past half.

The reed switch (magnetic switch attached to filler tube) was not activating the vent valve for the gas tank. The gas pump nozzle flips the little cover open and the cover engages the reed switch (magnetically). Thus sending everything in motion for the tank to vent while filling.
(I checked all the obvious issues, fuses, the tank, sending unit, obstructed spit back valve in the neck etc etc.)
My next steps were to check continuity and power to all the switches and valves. Everything looked good and worked when power was applied separately. But when everything was connected... nothing!
Next step... to look at the wire diagram in the Bentley. On that same system of wires is the "Fresh Air Valve" my guess is that when fueling up the car shuts off outside venting to avoid pulling fumes into the cabin. There has to be a short there at that connection because when we cut that wire and used a different configuration the filler flap activated the reed switch and the vent valve opened for the fuel tank! Everything worked when we eliminated the "Fresh Air Valve" from the daisy chain. So therein lies the problem I believe.
My next step is to see if the "Fresh Air Valve" works... if not maybe theres just corrosion where the wires split? Not sure...
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote