View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #69
fooksm

Garage
Steve,

I currently have 2 Boxsters, one of which suffered an IMS failure which totalled the engine... It is a 2001 3.2s and had 102000 kms on it at the time of the failure. No Porsche dealer is aware of thisspecific car having had an IMS failure as there is no point due to it's age.

The data on these IMS failures does seem to suggest that low mileage per year cars are more prone to IMS failure than others and I have just bought an LN Engineering IMS upgrade to install in the 2nd Boxster when I change it's clutch next year, just because I don't want the downtime involved if the 2nd Boxster were to suffer an IMS failure.

In my case, the 2nd Boxster has no service history and fewer miles per year than tge 2001 S so I feel that there are certain things which I should do to minimise the risk of unforseen problems with the car, such as IMS upgrade and a new Clutch whilst I'm there. As with all older cars which I purchase, the very first thing was a full major service, of course as I now know exactly what fluids the car has in it and exactly when that was done.

The 2001 Boxster with failed IMS lasted very nearly 10 years before suffering an IMS failure and I am assuming that my other one has lasted nearly 12 years without an IMS failure so I agree that IMS failures are not as common as some would have us think.
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote