Thread: Engine failure
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #19
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Do remember though, Frodo, that this car is the result of Porsche learning from Toyota how to cut costs.

The results, to name a few: Lokasil cylinder liners that can lead to oil/coolant intermix, remanufactured blocks going into vehicles coming fresh off the line, poorly reinforced frames/suspension mounts for the first model year, poorly designed IMS seal leading to failures, problematic RMS, D-Chunk, barely capable cooling system, crap shoot AOS, 3 to 5 chains all with the potential to fail, plastic impeller water pump, barely capable (in my opinion) oil cooler, and drain holes that seem to get plugged more than drain moisture.

I could go on, but my point is that this was the entry level vehicle to get people into the Porsche family. Popular though it did become, Porsche basically expected people to get this, own it for a while, and then want to upgrade to the flagship 911. And even the 911s from that era had some of these problems, too, especially the IMS failure.

For me, while I know all of these potential problems exist, I can't sit and be worried every second I operate the car. If it fails, I'll only be upset if it happened while I was sitting idle at a light rather than when I was actually enjoying making the car do what it does so well. I'm getting my money's worth, and if something major or catastrophic happens then it gives me an excuse to simply save up and make the car into something very awesome and much more bulletproof.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote