View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
tonycarreon

i'm not sure when porsche changed the tip to temporarily use manual mode. i know on the first models you had to actually move the selector to manual for the buttons on the steering wheels to work...

on your gauges there is the mode display - either "M" or "D" for manual and automatic.

from the manual:
- the car drives off in 2nd gear when the throttle is only slightly opened (pressed), but will downshift to 1st when the throttle is open wider or when the engine is cold.
- temporary manual mode (shifting with the steering wheel buttons even when in automatic mode) remains active when the vehicle is stationary or when cornering and overrunning and returns to automatic mode after approximately 8 seconds (except when cornering or overtaking) or if you depress the accelerator to kickdown or when moving off.

temporary change-down:
- when speed is higher than 33mph, depress the accelerator quickly. the transmission changes temporarily to the sportiest setting. to leave temporary change-down, release the accelerator markedly (by 25% or more).

from my driving, the things i've learned (2001):
- a quick blip of the throttle will downshift 1
- two quick blips will downshift 2 (if it can) skipping the gear in between
- quickly releasing the pedal will preserve the lower gear longer as long as you depress it again rapidly when accelerating. if you depress it slowly it goes back to normal.
- if you're overtaking someone while in automatic, double-tap and floor it. the car will figure out when and what to do.
- at a stop light if you're in automatic you're more than likely in 2nd gear. a quick press of the pedal when taking off will move down to 1st.
- (this one might just be me imaging it but...) it downshifts faster in automatic than in manual + steering wheel button. mostly because it skips a downshift when double-tapping, like going from 5th to 3rd.
- i tend to only drive in automatic mode once i'm cruising on the highway.