View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
rdougan

Thanks for all the replies; it is a huge booster! I love the car, it is just quite annoying having all these issues. I don't think I've actually had the chance to fully enjoy the car yet (I'm too afraid to remove the toolbox + jack from the trunk). It is especially hard as I have little patience, but hopefully it will pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
What year & mileage? Purchase price? How many of these problems were existing when you bought the car? Also, you don't HAVE to replace the IMS (bearing).
2001, 90k miles. About 50% of the issues I already knew about, not including the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I know it seems like a lot, but if you chip away at a few of these, little by little, next thing you know your list will grow much shorter and it'll just be the big stuff that you can really focus on accomplishing. Your steering shake above 70 could be due to tires being out of balance, easy and simple fix. I thought mine was an alignment issue, the whole car and steering used to shudder, but I had the shop that did my IMS job rebalance all the tires, and two of them were way out of balance...the car is now shake free all the way into triple digit territory. $25/wheel, totally worth it, and cheaper than an alignment if you don't need one.
I'll get that done then. It has gotten dramatically worse over the past few days, not getting very shaking even at 45MPH.

Quote:
The interior door handle shouldn't be too terribly expensive, see if you can find the parts on Pelican Parts. It's a small thing, yes, but clearly it's compounding with all the other things going on and adding that much more stress to your ownership experience. Knock that out too, shouldn't be tough.
Yeah, it is just a simple spring that was broken. I identified the problem when taking the door lock mechanism out of the door.

Quote:
You have the switch for the parking brake, so why not just take care of it?
From what I've seen, replacing it is a pita. Though it now sounds simple after replacing the AOS.

Quote:
When you say interior lights, do you mean all the lights on the inside? Dash lighting? The door lights and overhead light?
Any lights that go on when you open a door/flick the switch. Neither trunk lights work either (I've replaced the bulbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Actually, I'll be selling off my old grey floor mats when the new black ones arrive in a few days. I'll give you a "sympathy price" - it'll be less than half of what new mats would cost, including shipping. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think gray would go to well with my black interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
This isn't a cheap hobby, but dude... you own a Porsche! You're living the dream!
Definitely! I love the car, even with it's many faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Yes... and to add,... it goes to nothing... it is just a vent tube.
Thanks. I thought the same, but couldn't find any information on it.

Does anyone know if it is normal to have that little gap underneath the engine, where the transmission mounts?

rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote