View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Porsche Enthusiast

Variable valve timimg actuator issues

Hello All,
I have a 97 Boxster that I am in love with, but I am having some problems and need the forums help. I used to be rather good at working on old air cooled VWs, but I figured I am all grown up and I could work on a porsche. Umm sorta out of my leugue. Glad there are forums!

On start up there was a funny rattle sound coming form the engine that was similar to loose exhaust. It would only happen if the car had been sitting for 4 hours or so, so I assumed it had something to do with oil settling.
Upon further reading, it is suggested that it might be the cam chain tensioner.
I waited a little while to repair it, then the check engine light popped on and started flashing, and the car would barely idle.

We scanned for codes, and I was getting random misfires on the left bank cyl456?
My friend and mechanic is ASE but not a porsche mechanic specifically looked up the codes and suggestions and we decided to replace the tensioner. The chain tensioner came in and after 4 hours or so we replaced the tensioner. It starts and idles now, and runs far better than before the new tensioner, but the sound on start up is still there, and the cel is flashing still.

I posted a video for the sound on you tube. Cut and paste into browser..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYaAmZ9dsY

I am recieving the following codes via Torque and an ELM bluetooth unit...

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P1319: [Seat/Audi/Volkswagen] Knock Sensor 1 Circ. Short to Ground

P1318: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P1316: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P1317: [BMW] B Camshaft Position Plausibility

I did some digging on all data and I am thinking it might be the VAr timing solenoid for Left bank? Do we really have to drop he engine to fix this? I am hoping someone can make a suggestion to see if I can fix this short of dropping the engine and replacing the var cam actuator solenoid... Anyone with ecperience on this please help!
Porsche Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote