View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
442nd986s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacileo01S
Interesting post. I appreciate your honesty. I figured there could be an issue with the Bose 5.25 woofers so that is why I went ahead and purcahsed two kicker 5.25 (4 ohm) woofer. I will probably load the box with these and may move the Bose 2 ohms to the doors or even sell the Bose 5.25s.

I'm curious as to what the enclosure will sound like with the kicker components in there. I heard about someone putting focal components in their bose unit and ended up being satisifed.They also added the unit after the fact and upgraded their deck but did not change the factory amp. Again, I am no audiophile, so I do not need earth shattering bass, just looking for a slight improvement. Think I can get it done with the kickers?
Just because the "picky-ness" of BOSE, I think the Kickers would sound better. However, the Kickers might need more air space than your box allows.
Airspace changes frequency responce for the speakers. To overcome this you will need to stuff the speaker enclosure with some poly fill (Walmart fabric department). This will slow down the soundwaves to immulate a bigger enclosure area for airspace. I would research on how much airspace your Kickers need and compare it to how much airspace your enclosure has. Formula for airspace: Length x Width x Height= cubic inches/feet
On another note: Unless your amp has a built in crossover that you can use for your kickers, I would HIGHLY recommend a passive crossover (least expensive) or a new amp with a built in crossover. A passive crossover connects in between the amp and the speaker. A crossover is as basic as a coil ($20) to a crossover network ($100). This will eliminate unwanted frequencies to your Kickers. e.i. 10khz and above. You don't want high frequencies going to your Kickers, only mid-midbass.
You might want to check if your head unit has a dedicated output for selectable crossover. I know mine does.
442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote