View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Heh. No, not specifically. I joined here what, 3 or 4 years ago, and in that time I've seen the same response over and over. To the credit of 986forum members, there's less rabid adherence to the N-rating mantra here than on other Porsche forums.
I haven't seen many sticklers for N-rated tires here.

The practice of testing and approving certain products for a particular car is a really nice service provided by Porsche (whatever the motivation). They are saying that they've tested this particular tire and is works up to their standards. Unfortunatly, judging from the quality of some of the parts on this car, their standards aren't necessarily that high (who has ever had to fix a fuel vapor system on a Toyota? but I digress). This isn't to say that other tires or other oils aren't completely acceptable and even better performing, they just haven't been tested.

So someone who questions the purchase of a tire or oil that is not Porsche approved is overemphasizing the effectiveness of the process and doesn't really understand why the approval process exists. I haven't seen a "do not use" list.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote