View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
...And yes I took the Boxsters to the grocery store, took the trash to the dump in them, took 2 of us away for weekends, fit a bag of golf clubs in the rear trunk, got a 20" pizza...etc.. And even fit some things in them that wouldn't fit in the CRV.
Mike, you're my hero.

To the original poster, I would say since you're planning on having the car as a daily driver, stick with an oil change every 5,000 miles, or once a year should you not make it to that mileage, which I doubt. If you get a good synthetic like MOTUL you could get much more out of it, and 5,000 would be erring on the side of caution, which I'd say is wise. I still am amazed that the little 2.5 really takes nearly 9 quarts of oil and puts it to use, but you're looking at maybe $300/yr for oil changes, if that, since you plan on doing them yourself. It could be worse.

I can't give you specific experience when it comes to an '05 as I own a '97 and I'm still learning about it daily, but if you can comfortably have aside a few thousand dollars a year for any maintenance that can come up, and you're willing to take a few dives and DIY some of the things that may occur that aren't your run of the mill oil change, brakes, etc., pick up Wayne Dempsey's 101 Boxster Projects, a Bentley manual, as well as shop around online for some parts, you'll save yourself a good amount of money and enjoy the car and the fact that you're the one keeping it on the road more often than not. Mikefocke has an awesome website full of info, and you have a lot of other people here at your disposal to help you out with whatever will come.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote