View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
KevinH1990

I don't have a 2005. I offer the following based on my experience with my 2000, and I think most will be applicable to an 05.

1. As others have said, being able to DIY most of the routine items will keep your cost down.
2. There is a lot of information on the web that will help you. At a minimum, read Mike Focke's page before you buy.
3. Consider purchasing a Durametric cable. It will enable you to diagnose many problems with the car. (It is almost like the car can talk to you and tell you what is wrong.) My wife bought a used one for me as a Christmas present and it was a good $100 investment. Even if you have to buy it new, it will be worth what you pay.
4. Owning another car makes dealing with issues on your Boxster more practical and economical. It allows you to work on problems over several days and wait for parts to arrive. A garage helps too. If you don't have another car, have a back up plan for getting to work while you work on the car or leave it with a mechanic for a few days.
5. While a Boxster has a lot of storage space for a sports car, I don't think I would enjoy using it to do my weekly grocery shopping.
6. Some people experience engine failures. Think about how you will deal with this if it happens.
7. I've had a few "flurries" of problems with my car. You might want to find a good independent mechanic before you encounter your first problem.
8. You might get a better deal if you buy a car from an individual seller. Most of us keep records of service and repairs that you might not receive from a dealer. The money you save could be useful when you need a repair.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote